Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricane Katrina


Well it hit me Friday night that this disaster was of overwhelming proportions. Earlier in the month I heard and disregarded the news about the approaching hurricane. Starting this week, I began to see and hear about the damage caused by the hurricane. Then I heard reports of looting and video of Hurricane damage. Only when I turned on the news on Friday night did I realize how bad this disaster is. I was immediately struck with shocking images of thousands of people displaced, desperate and alone. The video of survivors and their pleas for help shocked me. All I can think about was the lack of emergency responce. This is three disasters in one, the hurricane, the levee collapse and subsequent flood and the lack of proper emergency relief. I had no idea that New Orleans was underwater because of Levees breaking allowing water from the Mississippi river and Lake Pontchartrain to pour into the city that is below sea level. This made me realize that this tragedy was larger that just a hurricane. Unbelievable were the reports of Murder, rape and chaos within the New Orleans convention center where refugees were gathering. And the seeming lack of quick emergency response for a hurricane that was not a surprise. The lack of law and order and emergency relief is unacceptable for an emergency within the United States. This disaster makes me question the inability of our government to respond to a domestic disaster. This is especially concerning given that we have been lead to believe that our government has been making tremendous strides in homeland security to deal with emergencies not different from this one.

For information on how you can help visit:

http://www.airamericaradio.com/katrina/

Here is another good link that shows discrepancies between statements made by federal officials and reports from the scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/katrina.response/index.html

This link is to a news story that describes the anger of New Orlean's mayor regarding the relief efforts and George W. Bush

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=66123504&p=66yz38x6&n=66123884




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i donated some money to firefighters collecting money for the hurricane relief.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you might enjoy this mindless rant I noticed on my network bulletin on Myspace: it's a response to a letter written by Michael Moore concerning the US gvt's presence (or lack of) in aftermath of Katrina. It's pretty laughable. (And sad at the same time). Anyway, I guess there are far more important things to worry about right now, than what this asshole thinks....

>>>OH YEA----
IT IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT TO PREPARE THEIR CITIZENS FOR ANY TYPE OF DISASTER. ESPECIALLY
ONE OF SUCH MAGNITUDE .SO IF YOU WANT TO HANG SOMEONE BY THE BALLS THAN HANG THE GOVERNOR OF LOUISIANA AND THE REST OF THEIR DISORGANIZED BULLSHIT ORGANIZATION.
GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU COMMIE PIECE OF SHIT- GO MAKE
ANOTHER BAD DOCUMENTARY - IS THAT WHAT YOU CALL IT WHEN THERE ARE ACTORS WORKING FOR YOU? WELL ANYWAYS, YOU AND ALL YOUR FOLLOWERS CAN GO AND HAVE ALL YOUR HIPPY MEETING SOMEWHERE ELSE. STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM US.
LOVE ALWAYS , ARIE AND ROB J.
TEAM AMERICA " FUCK YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

BY THE WAY IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS DELETE US
PLEASE DO US THE FAVOR-----<<<<<

9:52 PM  
Blogger M.J.G. said...

Thats great thanks for the info. I also donated. I donated some money to the red cross because if I didn't I would feel really bad. That interview with Mayor Ray Nagin is heart wrenching. I urge everyone to listen to it.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home